Wouldn’t it be nice to find success in your career by happening to be ‘in the right place at the right time’?
According to network scientist Ron Burt, your best chance is to hang around the places that are most likely to become ‘right’, and those elusive places are the ‘structural holes’ in networks of people.
There are always certain groups within a network that tend not to mix due to their different cultures. Yet it is that very mixing of different viewpoints that more often sparks off innovative ideas. So this creates an opportunity for you to bridge these gaps in networks to create a new possibility of innovation.
Open your network
I like how journalist Michael Simmons recently took a fresh look at Steve Jobs’ success at Apple. He found it was less about his personality quirks and more about how he joined-the-dots in the right places (between diverse communities and viewpoints).
What’s more, you can replicate this yourself.
Unfortunately (or fortunately), the answer is to move outside your comfort zone – to actively find people or industries who think differently to you, so you can open up your network.
- Are: trusted, comfortable, and easy to get things done in
- But: tend to hold similar views (so members confirm what you already believe)
- Are: challenging, you often feel like an outsider, and you have to deal with multiple world-views
- But: are more accurate (errors are challenged) and foster new ideas (from the clash of opposing views).
So I guess it comes down to a numbers game – to find new insights and opportunities, you just need to shake lots more interesting hands.
“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
— Henry Ford
InsightNG is a smart thinking-tool that helps you gain greater clarity and deeper understanding when making important decisions, completing assignments, or getting through personal challenges.
- Big data finally mainstream in 2016? - December 31
- Keeping a journal improves your InsightNG journey [new feature] - December 8
- Big data has Big flaws - November 25
- You are learning wrong - November 24
- Hustling fate to win the ‘right place, right time’ game - November 20